Thursday, July 03, 2008

Thor's Epic Journey pt. 6 - Machu Picchu.

Alright! Here is a bunch of photos from Machu Picchu! I know, I know, I should have made a Flickr album, but you know what, I like this! I like organizing pictures like this! So to all of you who say "Dude, maybe it's time you get with the damn program and use a Flickr thing to upload photos", I say, NO THANK YOU, THAT IS NOT HOW I ROLL. 
To the point, though. It's early, early, early in the morning, like, 4.30. It is as cold as it can only get in the middle of the winter at 12 000 feet, and high above the crisp and crystal clear icy desert air, the sky turns from black, dotted with a million bright and sparkly illuminated stars, to a deep blue, to grey pink, to a dark bottomless blue. The ice cold minibus I'm in with a couple from Washington D.C. leaves a quietly whirling fog of dust and smoke behind us as we drive on bumpy dirt roads through the highland. (OK, I was going to keep up my poetic new thing, but long story short: The damn minibus broke down, we just barely made our train, which took us from mountainous desert, to mountain jungle, where the high mountains are covered in thick jungle vegetation. Anyway, the train got to a little town called Aguas Calientes, and from there we took the single scariest bus up the single steepest and curviest (trust me, I do not mean this in a good way) zig-zag road up the jungle-clad mountain side. And when it got too steep even for the suicidal bus driving maniac, we had to climb up the last hills, and suddenly, in front of us, laid this sight:)

It was crazy! it is so far up, it's ridiculous! 

It was so cool to walk around the houses and explore.
Also, the place was full of Llamas - nature's own lawn mowers! They were actually super friendly, and I am facebook friends with a couple of them now.



This is originally the main temple.


Llamas! Everywhere!

Also, needless to say - as are all other Incan landmarks - Machu Picchu is incredibly steep, with 3000 ft drops around every corner. 
This is the Incan Sun Hook! It keeps the sun from floating away, which I think is a very noble idea. 
Oh yeah, and the weather was nice too!
Definitely a highlight of my trip!

Ah! The famous Condor sacrificial site! The tip here looks like a Condor's beak, whereas the natural rock formation in the back looks like its wings. So, well, place victims hear right behind the beak, judo chop, and then watch beak get filled with blood. That is how they roll!




Definitely a place one needs to visit.
And NOW it's off to Buenos Aires!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You totally just Photoshopped yourself into postcards, didn't you? Those pics are AMAZING! The sky looks so beautiful and the llamas? where they just roaming around like that? Crazy. I will definitely have to start going on these trips with you ASAP.

6:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home