I take back what I said.
So, even though any coward who participates in a 6-on-1 attack deserves all the jail time in the world, I guess I might have been too harsh on the Jena 6 and the societal odds they face. Professor Orlando Patterson of Harvard had a very interesting piece in the Times today, with some severely disturbing figures which, if they are correct, are a strong indication that the U.S today is not race blind at all, a very sad fact in 2007, almost half a century after the Civil Rights movement. It's interesting how Patterson gives much significance to informal street culture, which I feel like some sociologists tend to trivialize.
Either way, maybe I have wrongfully had too much confidence in the American legal system to give the Jena 6 a fair trial. Or maybe it works, seeing that they got their sentences reduced. Hm.
In other news.. I'm not really as busy as I thought I'd be this week, and even took time for a really long jog today, which went very well, plus, I may or may not have watched an episode of Poirot today whilst dining (The cross-dressing housemaid with the mysterious watch did it!).
Have a great week, everyone!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home