Sunday, September 23, 2007

Russians today, Iranians tomorrow.


Alright! A good weekend is over, although I did - and do - have something of a cold.

So today, I went to an awesome concert in Carnegie Hall, and also went to a crazy dinner at neighboring "Russian Tea Room", which is, well, one of the swankier places I have been to, I can readily admit that. I did the whole Russian thing, and had Borscht and Stroganoff, so yeah, very authentic. And I am very full.

In other news, Iranian Arch-Bundle-of-Joy Mahmoud Ahmadinajed is speaking at Columbia University, like 3 blocks from where I live, so my whole neighborhood is essentially blocked for traffic and in every other way blocked off, so yeah, that should be interesting.

I mean, as much as I think the man is a horrible autocratic buffoon, who is at best medieval in his policies regarding women and gays, just to mention two areas where Iran is not exactly excelling, I still think it's great that he is coming to speak here. It's a good way to start much-needed dialog between Iran and the U.S., although he will probably mostly lie during his speech. I'm sure he will also be shocked to see how Columbia is a university where women are encouraged to learn, a concept unheard of in his particular neck of the woods.

Anyway, Columbia's president Bollinger (awesome, awesome name) will introduce Ahmadinejad's talk by confronting him on issues ranging from his disturbed and incorrect view of the Holocaust; his comments on wiping Israel off the map; Iran's nuclear weapons ambitions and generally the suppressing of anything without a beard (Clearly I would have no rights in Iranian society - my lack of facial hair is be the sign of Satan/America, and I would probably be stoned, and not in the good way.)

Bollinger even opened up the floor to Columbia students and faculty to submit questions to the sexy Iranian. Here are some suggestions from me:

"From a purely geological point of view, what is the best type of rock or mineral for stoning a heathen?"
"How many stones does it take 'til you get to the centre of the heathen?"
"Boxers or briefs?"
"Iran is home to some of the oldest civilizations on the planet. How come you just stopped developing in the 600s?"
"Didn't you die in the last Harry Potter book?"
"Who is your favorite Spice Girl?"
"Was Britney's spiel at the VMA's really that bad? And why is jail the new rehab?"

Alright, I'm clean out of questions.

Oh, and in other, SEEMINGLY non-related news, Turbonegro is coming to town on Tuesday (as is, apparently, everyone else in the world, since the UN opens this week, hence the Sexy Iranian's visit here.)!! Anyway, it should be fun, I totally convinced all my colleagues to come with me.

Oh, other news yet again: Mats! Opponents beware! Here is the George Washington clip!! Indeed, I found it! (OK, it wasn't so hard at all.) Oh, and here is the one where Babycakes meets the Brain Fuckler!

Alright! Have a great week, everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home