Sunday, January 28, 2007

Update from the Newest of Yorks.


OK, I am really bad at blogging right now, but I've been pretty busy, so that's my excuse, WHAT IS YOURS????

Either way, I'll try to organize all the stuff that is going on:


1) I am in the middle of two busy weeks. This week, I was in charge of a visit from a VIP-delegation from Norway, and I was kind of the program guy. Which meant that I have been out of the office pretty much all week. In addition to the standard stuff - visiting the UN, the Norwegian Bank Investment people, etc. - we also visited the NYPD gang division, which is based out in Brooklyn (appropriately, on Leif Ericsson Blvd. :-) )


They had a very interesting presentation about the largest gangs around here, and the damage they do. I guess I've never really thought about it, but they are a pretty potent force, both in terms of crime and politically, so it was interesting to hear about it, even though the problem is much smaller here than at home.


Also, we visited the Tombs, which is one of the few prisons on Manhattan. I guess my preconceived notion of not really wanting to go to prison in the near future was significantly strengthened - it's a pretty rough place, and the tour got us up very close and personal with the inmates, so that was definitely an experience.


2) In other news, I went to a crazy concert thing last night. So imagine this: You sit in a huge room, with galleries and balconies surrounding the floor filled with musicians. In front of these musicians are huge semi-translucent screens. As the musicians start playing a really strange style of atonal New Music, the screens are filled - all around the room - with decaying images of old industrial machinery, dancers, and all kinds of strange symbols of religion, power, etc. It was a strange and distorted, unknown world, but at the same time incredibly powerful and seducing.


My roommate Eileen played the clarinet in the concert, which took place in an old synagogue down in SoHo. It was amazing, and to learn more about it, you should check out Decasia's website.


3) Next week is going to be pretty busy too: There is a Grieg concert - the first of incredibly many - on Tuesday, then the Polar Music Prize award ceremony (this year's winners are Steve Reich and Sonny Rollins, both of whom should be fun to meet) on Thursday, before I head to Washington DC later that Thursday night for work. Katy gracefully enough is letting me stay there for the weekend, so that should be fun!


Now I kind of have to go, though - I'm heading out to see the Dysfunctional Action Theatre, in which my OTHER roommate is involved, so that should be fun. Yup, a very roommate-y weekend.


OK, hope y'all have a good week, and hope to see you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home