Sunday, July 01, 2007

Who's the Blockhead now??

So, I have to ay something about this whole Blockheads. This is the new development in this issue:

1) Apparently, it is not a place, it is a chain. There are many Blockheads, apparently. Thank you Meg for this information.

2) President Mats (who, by the way, is back in Norway now :-( The office is super lame without you there, my friend.) turned out to be completely unable to provide any pictorial evidence that the Blockheads on 50th and 2nd was still alive.

3) However, upon personal inspection by myself, I found out that Blockheads is indeed not blown up as I had previously stated. Or, let me rephrase that: There is A Blockheads there. I don't know if it's the same one. Possible possibilities include:

3.1) It was blown up, then rose from the ashes, like the gnarly Phoenix of Blockheads, next door.

3.2) It was blown up, but only before the blower-uppers realized that Blockheads is unblowupable, so the explosion wiped out the place next door.

3.3) There was never a Blockheads there, and still isn't - it is just a product of our collective imagination. This is perhaps not hugely likely, but I think it's a possibility worth mentioning.

3.4) I've run out of options, but I'll think of more later, and feel free to submit your own. Preferably suggestions with dinosaurs, which will, of course, be promptly added AS ADDENDA to the list, by yours truly.

In other news, there is now a Chipotle in my 'hood! Hurray!

In yet other news, Lars Gunnar, Pierre and Nils are in town, and are supposed to call me when they have driven from JFK to the LES and parked there, so obviously it is going to take a few days. I'm thinking I hsould probably head down there, it's been a couple of hours since they left the airport, and I am kind of wondering what they're up to and why they are taking so incessantly long. Of course, traffic from JFK into MHTN is truly glacial in its speed, but still.

Oh, and in yet other news again, on Thursday I first witnessed a dog that jumped up to catch frisbees, and then a drunk dude who knocked another drunk dude out cold, so much, in fact, that the knocked-down dude ended up making snoring sounds, legs twitching and completely unconscious, on the pavement, until the ambulance came. Good times, good times!

Oh, in other news again (these guys are seriously slow!) I ran like hell today, and I also think the terrorist dudes in Britain are ridiculous in their assholicity. Like, what is the fucking point? Yes, we understand that you don't like the British engagement in the Iraq war, but surely there are better ways of expressing that than blowing up cars in London and Glasgow? Can you not write? Can you not talk? Can you not organize a peaceful, non-violent demonstration? Apparently not, and instead they choose to fight violence with more violence, which always works, right.

Let's think for a minute (clearly you guys did not), what are the results of your actions here, shall we? 1) You go to prison for the rest of your life. That one is a given. 2) You create more animosity in the western world against the arab world. Another given. Is this likely to create peace? Is this likely to change people's opinion on the war? No. People in Britain will start hating the Arab world even more, and although the popularity of the war will go down due to people's fear of further attacks on civilian targets in London, it will only make people more decidedly anti-Arab, not to say anti-immigrant.

Politically, these hopelessly impotent terrorist attacks make it even more politically impossible to retreat from Iraq. One can not negotiate with terrorists, and one can not change policies because of some bombs - it is simply not how a democracy works, and these fools clearly do not understand that.

Now we have a couple of outcomes. Do these outcomes look like the things you would like to see happen in the western-Arab relations? I hope not. You fuckers have to ask yourself: Did the bombs two years ago change anything in the British policy towards Iraq? No. Would these new attacks change anything, aside, of course, from increasing suspicion against everyday, peaceful, hard-working immigrants - which, by the way, is the incredibly vast majority, both in Britain, Norway and the rest of the world? No.

Car bombs are not the way to spread a political message. Get organized. Spread the word through editorials. Post provocative and interesting videos on Youtube. Start anti-war blogs. Organize peaceful anti-war rallies. Send a message of constructive dialogue. And for God's sake, do not use violence and bombs. We are no longer (and I speak of the rest of us here) apes, and there are other ways that we use to resolve our differences. This is how great policies and great statesmen have worked throughout history. Your approach is doomed to fail.

Yes! They are finally in town! I'm heading downtown! Hope you all have a good week, and let's hope there are no more bombs for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home