A delightful weekend - apparently I took a lot of pictures! .. Of bears!
OK, fine, there were no pictures of bears. Yet.. Tons of stuff to blog about this weekend! Where to even begin? Let's see!
Ladies and gentlemen: I am officially a comic book guy! I do not take lightly on this fact, and neither should you - I have gained 400 pounds and now do dishes in my bathtub.
On Saturday I went to the MoCCA Art festival (in the awesome Puck Building), which is dedicated to indie comic books. Actually there weren't many traditional comic book guys there - this was more of a hipster scene, actually, which was mildly surprising! There were a couple of Scandinavian entries to the festival, which were really cool, and it was great to see them there.
That was not the only reason I went there, though! The main reason for going was so that I could meet THIS guy!!
Yes! It is him! It is Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics (now relocated on the web to www.exotica.ca, a domain name that - APPROPRIATELY - sounds like the name of a strip club. .. A COMIC STRIP club!) He is the father of T-Rex, and the creator of awesome strips such this one:
And he was a super nice guy, and incredibly tall - 6 foot 9 made from radiation! - and I also bought this t-shirt:Also, Ryan's comic has inspired a facebook group (actually, like 200 of them), especially one that lists things that don't exist (Yeah, isn't that weird - it has a Wikipedia entry!)(And my favorite entry in that entry: "List of Jewish Superheroes". Apparently, Captain Underpants, a.k.a. Principal Benny Krupp is of the Jewish faith! I did not know that! Also, the Acidic Jew is there, which I think we actually talked about whilst doing improv at Roosevelt Island last week. That was, by the way, awesome, and Angela has a crazy apartment with the most rad view I have seen ever.) Anyway, digressions aside, here are some examples of things that do not exist:
The Late David Letterman Show, starring the Late David Letterman.
A bird which is also an apartment complex for UCLA grad students.
Hippopotodiles.
Vamputers.
A government of Enlightened Rhinocracy.
Amish people who are addicted to world of warcraft.
A mayonnaise speed-vomiting contest.
A pope cannon.
A sheep that is actually a robot disguised as a bat.
An electric guitar made out of bread.
IT'S FUNNY TO ME, DAMMIT!
So yeah, either way, a very good start on my day! But it was only the beginning! Later, I went to the Astoria Beer Garden in Queens, and met up with a huge crowd of visiting Mizzou-ers!
Brian was there! (He is not really visiting, he actually lives here.) Upon meeting, we promptly proceeded to take awkward thumb-pictures. He has a fantastic job, and we were all slightly jealous!
Emem was there! I don't know if Emem has been in this blog before, but she is awesome, and welcome here, my friend, although she technically also lives here for the summer, I guess. She has a fantastic job too! Sigh, those go-getter Mizzou people!
Ben was there!
..And so was Andrew, who has flown in from Washington (the one on the West Coast, you know, where the sun never shines. I have actually been to Spokane - we stopped there on the Greyhound en route to Vancouver, and I have vague memories of a bus station with creepy people playing arcade games.) for the week, and I will surely see more of him as the week progresses. You should give me a call, by the way. Anyway, this was our band pose. If we ever start a band, all our pictures will be like this. Also, if we start a band, it's going to be called "Cobra Death Ninja Incinerators a.k.a. the French Ticklers", and we shall play upbeat, danceable folk music.
Yeah, we spent pretty much the entire day sitting there, drinking beer and eating weird, vaguely edible objects, such as this dinosaur intestine, featuring bread, fries and the world's most pointless salad as side dishes.
When we were drunk and full enough, we headed back to Manhattan again. Wow, that trip was so funny, I don't even know how to describe it.. Just like, dude, wow, it was crazy. Rest assured, Brian going like this,
, pretending to fart on Emem, plus a little Chinese kid who seriously almost started crying upon seeing this most hilarious of spectacles.. Wow, man, it was insane. This is the precise view of that poor kid.
Then we ended up going to a bunch of bars and such on Manhattan and fun was had, but not before dropping by an awesome Japanese store!
Finally, Brian tried to poison me with this Japanese rice cake, which surely was not meant for human consumption.
Today, I took a long jog (I ran LAPS, bitches! LAPS!!), and got sunburnt while watching little league baseball: My next door neighbors - who are by the way incredibly nice - are respectively coaching, playing and cheerleading for this team in the Harlem Little League, and it was fun to see them play, even though they got their asses kicked 7-2. And now I'm off to see the Frida Kahlo movie, so yeah! Should be fun!
Have a great week, everyone!
Labels: Lots of pictures and such

1 Comments:
Dude,
Don't even act like those rice balls weren't the coolest thing you've ever eaten. They were aweseome!
Hot dog contest: two weeks.
7:50 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home