Monday, July 14, 2008

Thor's Epic Journey pt. 7 - Buenos Aires!


Yay for Buenos Aires! So, I really think Buenos Aires was my favorite stop on my grand tour of the fine South American continent. I mean, it was beautiful, clear autumn weather, the people were friendly, prices were low, the city was beautiful, and the steaks were big! What more can one ask for?
And yes, I even bought a freakin' soccer shirt!

In fact, I bought two soccer t-shirts, but I will comment on the significance of the latter in a later blog post!

Anywho, Buenos Aires was just such a great city to walk around in - it is fairly safe, and I also FINALLY didn't stick out like a sore thumb with my inherent blondeness, and I kind of looked like I COULD potentially have been a local! I started my day walking in the northern, swanky part of town. This park had this crazy metallic flower, which automatically opened in the morning and closed at night, it was really cool!

This is kind of a weird thing - the stop signs look like they've been built with Lamborghini Miuras in mind. Can you see the similarity, or am I just obsessed (Kind of an automotive Rohrschach test!)

Neh, maybe I'm seeing ghosts here. Either way, let's move on, shall we? YOu know what, this is going to be completely un-chronological, and you will have to live with it.

Funky poster in San Telmo!

Funky door in San Telmo. Seriously, more substantial stuff will come soon!
The Teatro Colon, one of the world's best opera houses, under construction, of course.


Maybe my favorite building in Buenos Aires, can't really say why.

Alright, getting to the good stuff here! Nueve de Julio Avenue used to be the widest avenue in the world! It was like a couple of hundred meters across. Meh, it was aight.

The national cathedral! Pretty cool!
Very Roman-esque.
The main square, where the government buildings surround and the demonstrating mothers of political dissidents who disappeared under various eras of military dictatorships gather.
Casa Rosada, like the White House, only, well, pink. Hey, pink is the new white, bitches.

The Rio Plata. The water was apparently so polluted that one sip could kill you (!). I didn't try, so can't confirm nor deny it.

Boca Juniors is like, the absolute shit. 
And shittest of the shit: Diego Maradona himself!
Boca Stadium!
And .. La Boca!
La Boca is originally home to poor immigrants from Italy and Spain, who came to Buenos Aires as ship painters, among other things. With the leftover paint they had, they painted their houses in crazy colors, and it was the coolest neighborhood to walk through!
Very typical La Boca neighborhood.
The cheesiest dollar I ever spent I used to take this ridiculously cheesy picture of me being cheesy with some cheesy skank.
Bald is the new Afro.
And, of course, Tango prevails throughout.
Such as here, in San Telmo.
However, dancing was not ok!
An gramophone, anyone?
So, Buenos Aires was mostly beautiful, but there are definitely parts that could be nicer, such as this, close to traditionally working class La Boca.
Tango is everywhere!
Teatro Colon, again!
Memorial for the fallen soldiers of the Falklands War.
Ah yes.. This is me and my five-pound steak. Seriously. It was among the most heavenly things I have ever tasted. It was served on this little personal grill thing, so it was literally cooking on my table.. It was amazing amazing amazing!!
The Obelisk. I will come back with more pics of that!
So that's how you know!

3 Comments:

Blogger * said...

I'm noticing someone wearing a River Plate shirt and claiming Boca Juniors is the shit? Is that an unironic claim then? Or is this, however, just a case of you not really knowing whatnots and zip about soccer?

8:54 PM

 
Blogger Thor said...

The diplomat in me says: Being a fan of a single team is by nature subjective and not immediately rational objectively. Therefore, is it so much more irrational for me to be a fan of two teams, even if they come from the same city? Why is that not possible?

8:59 PM

 
Blogger * said...

Because of rivalries and such. You wouldn't understand.

Besides, something being subjective does not even imply, and certainly does not entail that it is irrational.

That being said, the subjective nature of fandom will produce feelings (naturally, it's subjective), and those feelings would almost exclusively create a state of being where rooting for two teams would be impossible.

Plus, they play each other. Who do you root for then? A draw is not an option here. A fan can never wish for his team(s) to draw.

6:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home