Sunday, June 26, 2005

Insert really long text here

Several people (and by several, I mean one) have asked me why I don't update my blog anymore, and the answer is that I'm kind of lazy and a little bit busy. But here's what's going on in Thor's life right now:

-Living conditions: I've actually been staying at my parent's place this far, but I'm moving into a flashy little apartment in Hjelmsgate in downtown Oslo in the end of next week. It's going to be sweet, as it's close to pretty much everything in the city and a 10-minute bike ride to the beach.

-"Do you have biitches in Norway?": We certainly do. On a linguistically related note, the last week has been spectacularly sweet in Oslo, and yes, I've been to the beach every day, and yes, my Norwegian tan is improving. I guess the temperature is slightly lower than in Columbia (or at least according to certain web-loggers, or "bloggers", as this new internet phenomenon called. These are people who write about their lives on the internet, a kind of global network of computers. Blogging is probably just a short-lived fad, however, and is not likely to have any political importance in the future.) but the air temperature is around 85, the water (in the Fjord, of course) is around 70, and I'm not complaining.

-Hubbell: It turns out that Andrew, Jackson and I are staying in the lush meadows of Hubbell Drive after all. The promise of new and kickin' parties, the lack of stressful moves and the possibility of lots of group-hugs kept us all from leaving Casa Hubbell. Which is good, because despite the ant invasion in our dish washer, the constant verbal, mental and physical abuse and the homoerotic assaults from the two mentioned roommates, (Especially one, but I'm not going to say who it is. You know who you are, Andrew) it's a pretty nice place to stay.

-..Or Hubble? Right, so all my roommates pronounce "Hubbell" as "Hubble", as in the giant phallic space telescope. I, however, refuse to take part in this true linguistic disaster. As little as "Cornell" is pronounced "Cornel", "Hubbell" is not pronounced "Hubble", and I hereby declare that I fart in the general direction of people who refuse to stress the last syllable of "Hubbell". May God have mercy on their dirty, dirty souls. And on this sobering and flatulent note, let's continue:

-5 year reunion of my high school class. It's true, and I am getting old. Old, but wise. (Not really: Wisdom is directly correlating the amount of facial hair an individual can grow. Clearly I'm not very wise.)(I guess wisdom is measured slightly differently with women.) Either way, the class of 3D of the 2000 class of my high school KG had a barbecue last night. The weather was great, the old acquaintances were only partly forgotten, and afterwards we went out to what is in my book the best club in Oslo - if not the world - Blå. (The letter Å is pronounced like the 'O' in Thor, and the club was in fact featured in Newsweek (and I am not kidding here) as one of the best ones in the world. But who reads Newsweek?) It was a good night, and I already look forward to the next reunion five years from now. Maybe I'll have hints of facial hair by then.

-Reading: As I've said a thousand times, my goal for the summer is to read 50 books. I realize now that this might be a little ambitious, but I'm still seriously working on it. I'm trying to find a word that describes people who read more than one book at any given time, and my best bets are Poly-literous, Hetero-booky and multitask-libraricious, but mysteriously, I can't find any of these words in my dictionary. Anywho, I'm reading Kerouac's "On the Road" (Thanks, Ricci); "Ulysses" and the "Odyssey" (Thanks, Dave); Bill Bryson's hilarious "A short history of nearly everything"; a critical biography of Marco Polo (Was he a fraud? This reporters says no.); a weird Japanese book called "Norwegian wood" (how could I not?); and finally a great book about architectural history. I have the day off today (too sunburnt to go to the beach) so I might finish one or two tonight.

Right, this was a wee update on life in Norway. I know I've forgotten a thing or two, but this post is getting seriously long, and I need breakfast. Hope all my dear readers are having a good weekend!


Update: Finished Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything" last night, and I'm actually kind of amazed about how Bryson - who's more famous for writing tongue-in-cheek travel literature - has made this book a sort of guided grand tour of the history of the world as we know it. If you ever find yourself suddenly waking up in the middle of the night wondering how old the earth is, what quarks or protons are, whatever happened to the guy who invented leaded petrol, or how our lovely little planet went from having no life at all to - well - being a ball full of SUVs and fast food restaurants, then I definitely recommend this book. (Am I really the only person here who's curious about this stuff? I mean.. It's interesting shit!)

(Now the question remains: Is this blog turning into a Ben Welsh's blog blog-a-like?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home