Sunday, June 05, 2005

Wuhu!

Right, so I'm not going to try to copy Kjerstin's pretty extensive TV-listing. TV in Norway is like TV in the U.S. six months ago. Yes, we're cultural copycats - and somewhat slow at that - but that's not the point.

The point is that of my three favorite TV-shows, two of them are now on Norwegian TV: I already knew we had Spongebob (in Norway, it's on MTV of all places), but tonight I realized that we also have Dog the Bounty Hunter! It's a great show where a Mad Maxesque character goes on predictable adventures with his - and this needs to be said - hideous wife. I do lo ve her hair though, not to mention Dog's. It's - well - taller than you'd expect from a bounty hunter.

Unfortunately, the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge is still not on TV here. Which is unbelievably sad, and I tried so very hard to get DVDs before I left the U.S., but alas, there were none. (For those of you who haven't had the endless pleasure to see this show, the gist of it is Japanese people doing largely impossible stunts, usually climaxing in them plunging into surprisingly shallow pools of mud. They're usually left badly maimed and then humiliated with weird sexual innuendo. In the U.S., the ideal is 'Reward Intelligence', whereas in Japan, the mantra seems to be 'Punish Ignorance'. And preferably with lots of mud. It's fun, because as we all know, Japanese people don't have souls, and violence against Japanese people isn't really violence.)

Aren't you all happy that I actively seek out the best of the best of American TV? The worst about all of this is that I'm only partly ironic about this. MXC is a hell of a show, as those of you who have witnessed me watch it know only too well (I laugh to the point where I throw up, swallow my tongue and go into spasmic seizures. It's a sight for gods.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home