Thursday, February 02, 2006

On the freedom of speech.

I usually only write pretty light-hearted stuff here. There are notable exceptions, however, and here is one of them:

I take deep personal offence in people who take deep personal offence in silly cartoon caricatures depicting religious images.

To begin with, I did indeed think it was extremely unnecessary, tasteless and disrespectful of Jyllandsposten and Magazinet to print the Prophet caricatures, especially by "Magazinet", a microscopic Norwegian magazine with a strong religious-right bias. The caricatures are terrible, generalizing and mocking the muslim world in a provocative and appalling way.

However, the violent reactions the caricatures have prompted, with flag burning, physical attacks, and threats of suicide bombings in some of the most peaceful and free countries in the world, show that there are strong forces in the world fighting against freedom and peace.

Instead of showing a respectful, peaceful, reasonable and rational response by inviting to a constructive and much much more effective dialogue about Islam and the Freedom of Speech, the reaction has been helplessly violent, hateful, ridiculous and execrable. The result, of course, is a muslim world - yes, the world's attention generalizes, even more of an incentive not to behave like animals - that seems even more impotent, backwards, pathetic, deplorable and laughable than before.

I can't believe muslim leaders let this amazing chance to show generosity, big-heartedness and progression pass. Now, of course, they are even more antagonized to the rest of the world. Which isn't exactly what they need, now is it?

A democracy adhering to the demands of anyone but its voters is per definition no longer a democracy. A democracy can not be black-mailed, a democracy can not be bullied, and the slippery slope of accepting the helpless demands of medieval regimes is an option that can not even be remotely considered. Burning flags and threats of violence is much, much more offensive than any cartoon, and Denmark and Norway must not excuse to anyone the fact that they are liberal, free democracies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Thor said...

I know, I know, but sometimes apparently the most hard core democrats (me) need to use republican-style lingo. This is one of the few occasions where that in itself isn't execrable. That shit just won't fly.

8:28 AM

 
Blogger Thor said...

That's a really good point, and I HOPE - for the sake of world peace - that these demonstrators are merely a loud minority. I mean, there are several Muslim religious and political leaders who indeed ARE calling for a peaceful resolution and constructive dialogue about this, but they somehow don't get through the clutter of violence and embassy-burning.. Obviously I'm a little sensitive about that last point. But it's a complex issue: In Denmark, a leader of a Muslim group that accepted the Danish government's apologies was physically attacked - and so was his family - by OTHER more hard-lining Muslims.

The cartoons aren't that bad at all, they could be much, much worse, but I guess the cartoonists were afraid of a reaction .. Like the reaction they got. Let's see what these people burn today!

7:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one thing. Like it or not, flagburning is also within the rules of freedom of expression. Threats of violence however is a different matter.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger Thor said...

I know! I don't give a fuck about flag burning. I just give a fuck about people bombing shit or threatening to do so. That falls squarely outside of the freedom of expression. In other news, there's going to be a demonstration at the Danish embassy tomorrow, which is just down the street from us. Could be interesting. The other day a Secret Service dog sniffed me, clearly wondering if there were explosives in my crotch. And maybe it was right!

Ouh, by the way: John Legend just won a Grammy, and Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas really is a hideous fucker.

I'll call you this weekend - Enshallah - I have great news! Another Celebrity Eivind-look-a-like! And this time.. It's a Man! I know, I was surprised too.

6:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home