Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Are Europeans really gayer than Americans? Thor measures gayness.

Regardless of the fact that neither "gayer" nor "gayness" are actual words, I need to post this rather interesting observation: I've just watched my first episode of the Norwegian version of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". And of course - and most of you guessed this years ago - the Norwegians are significantly gayer than the American fab five. The Norwegians had more feminine, flamboyant hand gestures, tighter pants and those endlessly disgusting thin-line Ali-G type beards. They were really over the top gay, like unnecessarily "Yes, yes, we take the hint: You're gay" gay. Obviously there's nothing wrong with being gay, don't get me wrong here. In fact, my roommates last semester were all convinced that I was gay (Clearly that didn't take alot in the Hubbell household. Shaving regularly - and I do mean the face - along with wearing actual shoes and not drinking beer daily were all considered acts of the most flamboyant homoeroticism and thus, I was gay.)

I just suspect the American guys really are gayer, but in order to make the show more PG13 and palpable for an average American audience, it was - no pun intended - straightened up a bit, a move that wasn't necessary for the more liberal Norwegian audience.

And thus, I've spun one piece of info ("Norwegians are gayer") to the slightly better sounding "Norwegians are more tolerant", and I see a very promising future in PR approaching, and fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home