Sunday, August 26, 2007

Richard Serra at MoMA, and other Bothersome Men.

So today, after overcoming some skepticism, I went and saw the Richard Serra exhibit at MoMA, and guys, you should go see it, it was really cool.

Richard Serra is mostly famous for his "Mega-sculptures", which are essentially enormous sheets of weather-proofed metal, twisted into weird and organic shapes which you can walk through, creating kind of a labyrinth-experience for the viewer, which is really cool.

Also, MoMA has these little headsets that visitors get, which explain and give context to the various pieces on display. These little guides are usually read by art historians or curators, but in this case, Serra is certainly a living artist, so he explains himself, and guides the exhibit visitors through the various landscapes, rooms and shapes the steel plates create as you walk through them. It was seriously really, really cool.

(My favorite part was when he discussed how to get a 150 ton, wing-shaped blade of steel up to the 6th floor of the MoMA - they had to knock out a wall and close 53rd street for God knows how long, using a huge crane to get it into place.)

In other news, I saw "Den Brysomme Mannen"/"The Bothersome Man" at Cinema Village on Friday, and although I can definitely understand people who thought it was weird, I have to say I thought is was extremely good. I'm not sure how an American audience would like it, but to me it is a very interesting, powerful and nightmarish satire on Norwegian society as of right now, on how this IKEA-cool, modernistic materialism is taking over alot of other values, and the alienation this kind of "perfect" society can foster. I don't know, it's a movie I can definitely relate to, which is kind of scary. Hm.

So yeah, either way, a good weekend was had, and hope you all have a great week!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home